Private Assisi & Wine Tasting From Rome
Whether your motivation is religious, or as a lover of art and history, a trip to Assisi is an unforgettable and “must do” experience. In the 12th century birthplace of St. Francis, there are many sites relating to his life that can be visited, such as: his place of birth, the Porziuncola Chapel where the Franciscan order was founded and the “Eremo delle Carceri”, a peaceful monastery in the nearby hills, where he famously preached to the birds. Since the election of Pope Francis in 2013, pilgrimage to Assisi has even greater significance. The city’s masterpiece is the Basilica of St. Francis and it’s important both from a religious and artistic perspective. This imposing edifice is in fact three churches built one above the other and is filled with many important late Medieval and early Renaissance frescoes by artists including Cimabue, Giotto and Simone Martini. Your private tour guide will illustrate the most important frescoes depicted in the Upper church, such as the the episodes of St. Francis troubled life as well as the history behind its construction.
After the walking tour, to take a break and enjoy the local gastronomic products, the driver will take you to an Umbrian awarded winery where you will taste a variety of specially selected wines (including a white, red, sparkling and dessert wine) as you nibble on appetizers of local salamis, cheeses, bruschetta and olive oil. All while enjoying a gorgeous view of the lovely Umbrian countryside. If you are interested in purchasing one of the delicious local products or wines, there’s no need to worry about how to take them home with you. Our wineries can organize the shipping of any items purchased to wherever you want in the world.
Please remember that lunch is not included in this tour and you will have plenty of free time to choose a restaurant on your own. Your private driver or tour guide will be happy to suggest a restaurant based on your preferences.
Start Time: 8:00 am, 8:30 am, 9:00 am, 9:30 am, 10:00 am
At check-out, before your purchase is confirmed, you will be kindly asked to leave the written address of your accommodation or potential meeting point. This implies the name of the hotel, bed & breakfast or residence in which you will be staying as long as it is situated within the city centre. Such requirements are necessary for pick-up and private services only.
- Private English speaking driver with luxury vehicle for the entire tour
- Private professional tour guide in Assisi
- Wine tasting experience with 4 different wines
- Local snacks and appetizers
- Complimentary bottles of water
- Optional gratuities
- Extra food and drinks
What You'll Do
- Meet and greet with private driver in your established meeting point
- 2 hour drive through the gorgeous Latium and Umbrian countryside
- Meet your private tour guide in Assisi
- Walking tour in the medieval town of Assisi with visits to all the main attractions
- Enjoy the stunning view of the Umbrian landscape from the Basilica of Santa Chiara
- Let your guide take you inside the world renowned Basilica of St. Francis
- Free time for lunch
- Delicious wine tasting experience in a beautiful Umbrian winery
- Transfer back to your chosen destination in Rome
What To Remember
- The driver will meet you at the start time and location you have indicated and will wait for a maximum of 30 minutes. Missed tours cannot be refunded.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended since this tour involves a fair amount of walking.
- This tour is not wheelchair-accessible.
- The tour operator is not responsible for last minute, unpredictable closures, strikes or union meetings. Nevertheless, the tour operator will be happy to offer customers an extended tour for the remaining time.
- The tour is free of charge for children under the age of 6.