Private Orvieto and Tuscany Wine Tour From Rome
Having left the center of Rome, you will drive north with your private English-speaking driver, through the beautiful landscape of Lazio and Umbria. After about an hour’s drive, you will stop at the picturesque town of Orvieto, where your tour assistant will walk you through the highlights of this world renowned Italian gem. You will focus on learning the historic, religious and artistic significance of the beautiful frescoes inside the cathedral of Orvieto.
Orvieto sits dramatically on a vulcanic plateau, high above the Umbrian countryside which surrounds the whole town. Its rich history began with the Etruscans and includes periods of Roman rule, barbarian invaders, medieval battles with the papacy for its independence and it has also been used as a papal refuge during the famous sack of Rome! In addition to being known for its high quality truffles, the town boasts an incredible Gothic cathedral with a frescoed “Last Judgement” to rival Michelangelo’s in the Sistine Chapel, a labyrinth of ancient underground tunnels and a fine art gallery.
After the experience in Orvieto, you will drive for another hour through the old medieval town of Chianciano in Tuscany, today a famous international Spa resort, and from there onward to the historical center of Montepulciano. You will be given time to explore at your leisure the cobblestoned streets, to admire noble residences, medieval churches, fortifications and City Hall square with the high bell tower, the symbol of the town. Visit the courtyard and Palazzo Ricci, the work of the architect Baldassare Peruzzi. The wine tasting experience is held inside an ancient cellar, described by “Bella Italia” magazine as the most beautiful in the world. You will taste four different world renowned wines including the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano while also sampling the region’s artisan salamis and cheeses. You will have the opportunity to buy wines and olive oils directly from the producer which can be shipped anywhere in the world, skipping all intermediaries. Continue then to explore the shops of local craftsmen where you will learn the technique used for the production of copper objects, mosaics, wood carving and jewelry-making.
The drive back to Rome is about two and a half hours, where you will be dropped-off at your hotel after this unforgettable day tour in Umbria and Tuscany.
At check-out, before your purchase is confirmed, you will be kindly asked to leave the written address of your accommodation or potential meeting point. This implies the name of the hotel, bed & breakfast or residence in which you will be staying as long as it is situated within the city centre. Such requirements are necessary for pick-up and private services only.
- Private tour
- Professional English-speaking driver at your disposal
- Private round-trip transfers with luxury transportation to wine region and back
- English-speaking tour assistant
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Wine tasting experience with 4 different wines
- Local snacks with wine tasting
- Optional gratuities
- Extra food or drinks ordered outside the organized wine tasting
What You'll Do
- Enjoy a complimentary pick-up from your accommodation in Rome
- Drive north through the Lazio and Umbrian countryside to Orvieto
- Enjoy a guided tour of Orvieto and free time to visit local artisan shops
- Enter the Duomo of Orvieto and gasp at the stunning "Last Judgement" fresco painting by Signorelli
- Sample some local delicacies like its famous truffles
- Drive through the beautiful Tuscan countryside to Montepulciano
- Explore the medieval town by foot with its well preserved churches and fortifications
- Enjoy an unforgettable wine tasting experience in one of the most important wine cellars of the world!
- Delight your palate with delicious snacks to go with the wine
- Time to purchase wine bottles if you wish and transfer back to Rome
What To Remember
- The driver will meet you at the start time and location you have indicated and will wait for a maximum of 30 minutes. Missed tours cannot be refunded.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended since this tour involves a fair amount of walking.
- Please remember to inform us if you need wheelchair facility
- The tour operator is not responsible for last minute, unpredictable closures, strikes or union meetings. Nevertheless, the tour operator will be happy to offer customers an extended tour for the remaining time.
- The tour is free of charge for children under the age of 6.